MISSION
Adding value to create holistic independent learners.

VISION
An entity of timeless passion to add values for self, family & society.

SHARED VALUES
Creativity
Relevance
Innovative
Passion
Sincerity

Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Mystery

           On the 15th of September 2009, I was staying in a resort near a beach for a holiday with my family. The beach was very well-kept. Huge crowds of people love to go the beach.
   
           While I was taking a walk on the beach, I found a glass bottle stranded on the sand. It was hidden behind a huge rock. The glass was as clear as crystal. The glass bottle was scratched and some parts of it was chipped off. Perhaps it was scratched by pebbles and stones as it was tossed about by the strong waves. The cork was worn and battered; hit by waves many times.


            A coiled piece of paper was found in the glass bottle. It looked vintage, crumpled and wet. Long messages were written on the paper but I could not decipher them because they looked as though they were scribbled quickly by someone. There was also a map drawn on the paper leading to a picture of a treasure chest.

            I took the bottle with me and decided not to show it to anyone. I wanted to find out on the mystery lying behind the map all by myself. There was also a picture of a man holding an object which looked like a treasure chest. The picture was not very clearly drawn; It was black and dirty too. I assume that the paper was probably written by the man in the picture and the message he tried to convey about the treasure was also by him.


            The map showed that the treasure could be found near a rock. I decided to bring a spade the next morning to dig at some places near some rocks along the beach. I also went to the same spot where I found the glass bottle and started digging at the spot. After some time of not giving up in digging at the spot, I felt that I had hit my spade against something hard deep in the ground. I continued digging through the spot hoping to discover something. Chang! Chang! My heart leapt  feeling shocked to hear the sound as I hit my spade against the hard object! As I looked down through the hole, I saw a gold platted treasure chest! It was covered by sand. I slowly sifted the sand aside with my bare hands. I carefully lifted it up out of the ground with all my might. It was heavy, I almost fell into the hole as I was lifting the treasure chest. The padlock on it had already been broken. Out of curiousity, I opened it slowly. To my surprise, it lots of gold bars and gold coins. There was also a paper in it. A message was written on it. The message said that a man called John Andy burried the treasure chest in 1968 before he died. I wanted to show the treasure chest to my parents but it was too heavy to be carried. So I covered up the treasure chest first with sand. I quickly rushed to my parents holding the message in my hand. I showed it to my parents but they did not believe of my finding. They said that it could be a false treasure. I pestered them to follow me to where the treasure chest was hidden to prove to them. Finally, after much persuasion, they relented. They could not believe their sight! Their jaws dropped. They were as happy as a lark to discover the treasure as we could sell some of them and keep the rest.


             The findings not only brought wealth to my family but it also marks an unforgettable day of my life.






Joyce Tan
Sri KDU International School

No comments:

Post a Comment